Wednesday, March 25, 2009

All of the Above

Yikes, has it been almost a week since I added to the blog. Shame on me. You must be so worried about me! I’ll try not to make this too long.

Well, lots going on – in a manner of speaking – since chemo last Thursday. We were back at Johns Hopkins on Friday for more blood work. I sure hope they are doing something useful with all this blood they are collecting! We went directly to the Eastern Shore from there. On Saturday we went to a yummy potluck with some neighbors on our wonderful Goose Neck Road. Our little Neck is about 2 miles long and about ½ mile wide with about 20 houses on both sides of the road that goes right down the middle of the neck. It’s a beautiful spot (and plenty of geese honking and squawking at various times of the year so the Neck is properly named!)

At Chemo on Thursday they told me some folks experience some side effects:

nausea, rash, constipation or otherwise J, certain foods taste metallic, chills and other flu-like symptoms, or none-or-the-above.

I was voting for the last one.

Unfortunately I have had All Of The Above! (I didn’t think that was an option, but I got the full experience, the E Ticket ride!) So this week as been a little up and down in the activity department with the need to say close to the “facilities” as they say. Each day had a bright times though, so that’s good. We are still working through finding the sweet spot on the pain meds. I’m looking forward to settling in. This was a bit of a tough week. If this is it, I’m not crazy about my “new normal.” (I think we are already at the point where you have to say, “but remember Carol, you told us to remind you that you WANTED to jump in and get going with this!”)

This morning, our long time carpenter Carlos, who is like a Brazilian son to us…we love Carlos and Vanesa!....sent me this verse. I was up early, not feeling so hot, and I really needed this one: ISAIAH 41:13 "FOR I, JEHOVAH YOUR GOD, AM GRASPING YOUR RIGHT HAND, THE ONE SAYING TO YOU 'DO NOT BE AFRAID. I MYSELF WILL HELP YOU.'"

Here is the best news…the JH “Pain Management Team” put me on a long acting pain med that is such a God send b/c it means that I take one at about 11 at night and I am sleeping like baby all the night through! How wonderful that is J They also gave me some anti-nausea medicine. So, although I feel like a bit of my own chemistry experiment! I’m confident that this is all a period of adjustment and soon it will be nicely balanced out. I’m looking forward to that. (It’s that Romans 12:12 “patience” thing again!! I am obviously still in process.) Frank has been an angel! The soft boiled eggs keep coming, and although I am happy to subsist on soft cooked eggs and cottage cheese, Frank is expanding his repertoire daily! We have also has some yummy dinners by friends and neighbors dropped off. So Frank is gaining weight and I am working hard not to lose any more weight so I don’t get in trouble with the doctors at Johns Hopkins!

Tomorrow we are back up to Johns Hopkins for chemo, blood draws beginning at 7:30am and into the evening again. Sally is going to meet us up there first thing in the morning. Friday will be blood draws again and One More Liver biopsy on Friday. Ugh. (Christine and Mary Anne will be there for Friday! Yay…)

Here’s what I was thinking about this morning…somedays I feel a bit overwhelmed and this song kept coming into my head:

Who am I that You are mindful of me
That You hear me when I call
Is it true that You are thinking of me
How You love me ---- it's amazing

(Chorus)
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
He calls me friend

God Almighty, Lord of Glory
You have called me friend….

I guess if I have a song on my mind, that’s a good one!!

Love you.

Carol

20 comments:

  1. Hi Carol,
    We are praying for you and feel so blessed to have spent time with you when my brother John was injured and spent time at Walter Reed. God's blessings to you and your family. Thank you for being such an inspiration and blessing in our lives! We love you! Love, Carrie Caldwell-Marquez & Lawrence too::)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,
    You are in my thoughts and prayers now and all day tomorrow. He will uplift you with His mighty right hand. Rest in his hand. I am praying Jer. 33:3 for the docs = "Call unto Me and I will answer you and show you great and mighty things that you do not know." We love you, Frank and the family and are praying for your strength from Him.
    Thanks for the update. We really appreciate it.
    We have a new grandbaby, 8lb.1oz. head full of strawberry blond hair. Kaylee Marie Hurst. Praise the Lord for this new life. Wow.
    Love, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol-
    I read this in my Our Daily Bread devotional and I thought of you. "Our Lord is present with us no matter what each day brings. No matter what happens to us today, our Lord is walking beside us, strengthening us, loving us, filling us with faith, hope, and love. We can bear up in any circumstance because we know the Lord is at hand, just as He told Paul in Acts 18:10, "I am with you." My prayer is that you will see Him who is invisible--and see Him everywhere.
    Take care, dear friend. Mary Anne is carrying a big hug from me. She will give it to you today. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mrs Marshall,
    It's good to hear news from you, since I've been thinking about you all week. I lost my uncle on monday. He was really sick and couldn't get the help in Brazil that you are getting here. And because of that, my prayers are for him that is in heaven now, and for you, that is here fighting and will win this battle. All this blood work and nausea will pay off, you will see...
    God Bless...
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol,
    I just learned of your illness & just read your entire blog. What an experience you are having and your willingness to share it with us is most appreciated. Your faithfulness is inspirational & you & Frank & family are in our prayers starting right now. If anyone can beat this, you can. You go, girl!
    With much love & care & prayers, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl,
    Each time I read your notes, I get a smile on my face! It is evident that God is shining through you in this journey.
    I have to say that I loved the Ish. 41 verse sent to you. I love Isaiah!! In Chpt.43 read v.1-3, then KNOW v.4:"You are precious and honored in my sight and I love you." v.5 "Do not be afraid, for I am with you..." He is. And so are Dan and I.
    Sending prayer arms around you....
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Carol,
    Dress yourself with the virtue Patience, held together by strong lace, ironed by surrender to the will of God. Hope today was more tolerable since you know the ropes filled with healing hope !
    Thinking and praying for you
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Carol -- Our mutual dear pal, Mary Beth Carroll, and I agree that you are a "force of nature!" Your incredible strength, humor, grace, and, of course, faith are brightly shining through you as you go through this challenging time. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as well as those of all of us in your ERC Fellows family. And the prayers of all those ethicists is soemthing powerful indeed. Wishing you a joyous and comfortable weekend! Love, Barbara Hannigan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carol...I've been reading the updates and speaking with Sally to keep track of your progress. I wish you all the best with your treatment and would love to help with a schlep or two to JH! My schedule is flexible - I can't cook but I can DRIVE! :) Love to all, Wendy Banner (the "other" Wendy!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hang in there, Carol. I'm thinking of you every day. Lots of love to you and Frank. Give each other a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Carol, this is Riley's absolute favorite worship song!!!! We turn it up really loud and scream the words together!!!! Now, every time we listen to it, we will pray for your strength. So....we will listen to it daily!
    Love you,
    Sarah (Thurmond) Franklin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will be thinking about you guys all day tomorrow! I wonder if Dr. Christine will be reporting to duty again...

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol,
    Your Dee Two friends don't put our prayers on the blog; we go direct to the Giver of Grace. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol - I'm inspired everytime i read not only your comments, but those of so many dear friends! You will be ready to run for the Senate when you defeat this in a couple of months. Off to a conf next week, but will be watching my BB closely and continuing my prayer warrior duties. -steve

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sleeping like a baby? Does that mean waking up ever two hours? grin...my dear friend, my heart and prayers go out to you during this time....you have the Lord on your side. All my love and prayers,
    Dave D.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities; an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties." -- Reginald Mansell

    Carol, you're the quintessential optimist, and you will get through this in the same way you have done everything else in your life - with unequaled grace and a spirit that makes everyone else feel better just by being in your presence.

    Dave and Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Carol:

    Larry wanted me to send you this from the Liturgy of St. John:

    O Lord our God, be mindful of those whose memory is always with us and those who are especially in our thoughts at this moment and in our present prayer.

    Bring them the grace of a strong and lasting defense against all that may harm them.

    We send you our love - Larry and Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Carol,
    Brian just told me that you are battling the big C. As a 22 yr. survivor, I send you love, courage, faith and hope! I read your blog, and it sounds like you have a great team of family, friends, medical professionals and a terrific attitude. I will be praying for you....and look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
    Love,
    Tracy (Morra)

    ReplyDelete
  19. My dear Carol, I just learned of your trial today and had to reach out to you! I send you big hugs and smiles. I have such wonderful memories of my time with you as my CBS leader two years ago. What an inspiration you were to me then and are to me now as I read your blog. Please know that I will pray for strength and for all those meds TO DO THEIR JOB! I am a 19 year cancer survivor so I know that, while yucky, chemo does work. Love to you!

    Betsy Evans

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Carol, thanks for sharing your story with me on yesterday. I consider it a great honor to be included in your circle. I encourage you to continue to look to the hills, for out of it comes our help and our help cames from the Lord. Remember he is your keeper, and your strength. As a prayer warrior, I know there is hope in Jesus, because "the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man (still) availeth much." -- James 5:16
    AME Pastor

    ReplyDelete