Thursday, April 2, 2009

Oh yeah…Oh yeah … Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh!

Congrats prayer warriors!! You did it again! Chemo today was great. NO nausea! James 5:16 The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective

No blood draws today (but Robert came up to chemo anyway, just for a visit! With no needles!) Ella Mae said that they have been working on my concoction and “it came to her” to try an additional nausea drug that goes to receptors in a different part of the brain. Apparently there are various locations for receptors and the first two earlier drugs where working somewhat, but were not quite hitting that precise mark.--- notice PAST tense!

So today looked like this: Frank and I, and Sally, arrived JH at 8:30- straight up to chemo for some meetings and prep time (the pharmacy doesn’t mix the recipe until the patient arrives, too expensive to risk a no-show or a delay.) 10:30- IV installed in top of my wrist and the mix starts: first Zofran nausea meds by IV, then the chemo (35 mins); then the new nausea med by mouth (Emend – every day for 3 days); then they kept me around for a sack of water, just to get me fully hydrated incase the Emend didn’t work…and the theory that fluids are always good. (I need to be better about drinking more water.) 12:15- walked to the cafeteria, had lunch, and headed out. Sally back home, Frank and I to the Eastern Shore. No blood draw tomorrow. My veins are squealing with glee not that we don’t LUUUUVE Robert!

Although, one major draw back, I am sure they put some kind relaxer elixir in my mix b/c I was so sluggish that I slept all the way to the Eastern Shore and Frank did not get the benefit of my able assistance from the co-pilot seat!

Actually Ella Mae and Dr. Laheru both mentioned to us today that the chemo effects, particularly the “extreme fatigue” side effect is cumulative and many patients say that after the 3rd session, they are really wiped out. I appear to me in line with that one…slept from JH to here (1.5 hr) wobbled to bed for 3 hours, am up for dinner and pain meds, and am already yearning for my pillow! I also committed not to leave you hanging this week, so I was MOTIVATED to get a big Thank You message out to you and then zonk out again.

Please join me in a special thanksgiving prayer for Sally who joyfully -and adamantly- refuses not to be there with us, is our faithful note- taker and question-asker of the medical staff, full time supporter and prayer partner. Please pray for God’s special blessing on Sally and her family. ~Pray too for Peggy Ann who is out of town but sends me daily emails harassing me about eating, hydrating, not working too much, etc!

You have again proven to be effective in prayer and encouraging in friendship.

Keep those prayers…God is indeed honoring them.

Thank you.

Love and Sweet Dreams, zzzzzzzz

Carol

14 comments:

  1. So happy to her you have loving sticky guardian angel Sally ! She is God's special messenger of love support faith and smiles. Rest up ,, the day is perfect for that . Love you Carol and I lift up a prayer for you every time your sweet face comes into my thoughts..
    Have a loving weekend ! and faithful surrender into the hands of God your armor .
    ;-) Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will defintely keep praying. God is good and He has promised to stay with us no matter what. God doesn't give us more than we can handle. We love you. See you in a couple months.

    Scott and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, have you tried any of 'MY DRUGS' yet? The ones I worked on during my years at Amgen. AraNesp/Epogen-for anemia, Neulasta-for white blood cells to prevent infection, and Neupogen-to boost stem cells for my stem cell harvest (which should still be in the freezers in case I ever need it at UCLA; hopefully they have it properly labelled so they don't mix it up with the semen samples!) I frequently reminded the staff I was a stockholder. Glad the other drugs are working for you as well....so glad I chose this industry for my career knowing that the research ultimately is to help people like you. Take care, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Carol and Frank:
    We're sooo happy to read about such a successful day yesterday. Praise God! To not have the nausea is HUGE! And to be at the shore to regenerate is wonderful! Just stare out at the water, enjoy all the daffodils, and keep those drugs doing their job. We are all dedicated to your renewed health and Frank's strength to be your "rock." We send our love from Mammoth with the vocal grandchildren and snow flurries! Lots of love, June and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Marshalls,

    Tim and I are thinking of you and praying for you. I love the joy that you share through this blog. What a great and encouraging perspective you all have. God is in complete control and your trust in Him is evident.

    We are already praying for no nausea next week.

    The joy of the Lord is our strength!!

    Hugs from California.

    -Tim and Beth Brady (previously Beth Gordon :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, I wrote you an e-mail before reading this latest wonderful blog! Prayer is the answer and is doing its thing! So glad to hear that you have no Nausea this week. That is a blessing. No blood draws also gives you another day at the shore!!!!
    Our love to you and Frank!
    We miss you guys but you are always in our thoughts and prayers.
    Nancy and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol:

    Mark Langevin told me about your blog this morning on the golf course. Wasn't sure about the address. You should know that it was very easy to find via Google, even for a computer challenged guy like me. I started reading and could not stop until I read it all. Yes, your words inspire us all; your smile even more. Please keep it all coming. You and yours have been in my thoughts and prayers since first word.

    Newt Lesh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am soooo glad to read your update. My prayers were going straight for that pain (sorry, didn't realize the nausea was such a problem). Your wonderful team seems to have addressed both. Happy birthday to Frank - how happy the pictures look. Continued prayers and thoughts. All our love. Joe and Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, just a note to let you know we continually think of and pray for you and Frank. Reading your blog is so heartwarming knowing that you have so many wonderful friends praying for you. You continue to be an insperation to all of us. All our love, Wally and Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol, just to let you know that I am thinking and praying for you. Even though the procedures all sound too familiar, I still love to read your updates. You are very special and you are surrounded not only with God's love, but those around you are bearing your pain too. Your words truly inspire all of us and I love your smiles!!
    Have an awesome weekend!
    Love,
    Mei

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Carol -- You are truy fighting the "good fight" and I am delighted that have had some good news and that you are managing, through Frank and the power of prayer, to keep your spirits up. You are a real trooper and an inspeiration to all of us! I and your "ethics community" are praying for you every minute we can! All love, Barbara Hannigan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Carol -- You are such a trooper and an inspiration to all of us! Keep fighting the good fight as you have been doing so courageously! You are always in my prayers.

    Love, Barbara Hannigan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carol,

    I hadn't been able to read the blog lately, So I was happy to hear how well you are doing. You are a real fighter! I pray that this new cocktail is the plan. I wanted to take a moment and comment on how beautiful you and Christine looked on her wedding day. When the two of you walked into the tent together, I don't know who was glowing more. I was so happy to see the two of you. And I was so greatful for the sunshine, it truly was a blessed day. Thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of it. It was a real pleasure getting to know. Your courage and strenght truely inspired me. I'll keep checking in on you and i'll be keeping you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete