Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Enzymes Are Down! All Systems ‘GO’….

Yo Prayer Team, Victory!! You did it again! As my friend Jane says, “Prayed those enzyme numbers right down into the basement!” We got the word today on the blood tests that the enzymes are down and so the door is wide open to begin chemo treatments whenever all details/schedules/clinical paperwork is in place at Johns Hopkins.

And chemo it is, because we also got the report that the liver biopsy showed that the cells are indeed cancer. The fancy name is “adenocarcinoma.”

Johns Hopkins has continued being amazingly action-oriented all day today working, working, working now that the diagnosis has been confirmed. It appears 95% sure that I will get up to Baltimore for my first Chemo Treatment right away this Thursday…day after tomorrow! And I WILL be in the clinical trial. Yay!!

But boy oh boy you can pray for Frank on Thursday…it is going to be a looooooong day. Apparently after the chemo (which takes only 35 minutes by IV), then we stay around for 11 hours (yikes!) so that they can do periodic blood draws to see how the chemo is metabolizing. (btw, they put in a port so that they just go into that same port for the blood draws throughout the day and into the evening. Then we go home that night and come back again on Friday for round 2 on the blood draws, but only for two hours. Then it’s WeekEnd! Wahoo! (Actually I am happy to be parked at Johns Hopkins after my first few chemo treatments…if I have questions, or some weird reaction, I would rather be close to Johns Hopkins rather than an hour away in Georgetown or 2 hours away on the Eastern Shore.)

As I understand it at this point, chemo will be once a week. -- I believe every Thursday; I’ll keep you posted on that. And the Thursday/Friday blood draws are only for the first month, I think. After that, we will settle into a schedule where we just go up there once a week for the chemo, then come home, return the next week, etc. So with the drive, I figure about ½ day, once a week – that’s not bad. Not much word on the side affects of the chemo and the clinical drug--everyone is different. I’m counting on Friday night dancing! …”what?” you say? “You never went dancing on Friday nights before!” Oh well….this is the new me!

So, the journey continues and, wow, I am glad that you are walking with me on this. I feel your arms linked in mine and cannot, as much as I try over and over, articulate how very much I appreciate your kind words, encouragement, and most of all your Prayers. Mark Vanderput prayed this verse on Sunday before they left…every single line is a promise.

Zephaniah 3:17
The LORD your God is with you,
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing.

And again, my wonderful friends…you must believe me…I am not sad, upset, worried, stressed, anxious, (fill in the word), …I continue to have great, great Peace, am resting in God’s promises, and continually uplifted by YOU. Thank you.

Love and BIG hugs!!

Carol

16 comments:

  1. This is my very first time to be quoted in a blog. oh yeah, this is not about me!! Oh Carol, how amazing.... our God's provision: decreased enzymes, increased activity on your behalf at Johns Hopkins and a peace that passes understanding. Now for any side effects to also head to that basement!!!
    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,

    One of your gifts is that you make whomever you're talking to feel like the most important person in the world at that moment. I hope you feel that way yourself now.

    Here is an assignment (since you like them) from one cancer/chemo survivor to another...practice these things which I found helpful. 1) If a procedure is unpleasant, transport yourself mentally to somewhere beautiful, someplace special to you...the Eastern Shore perhaps, and 2)say to yourself, "Well, in a little while, this will be something in my past.

    You are surrounded by love.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angel de la guarda , dulce compania, no me la desampares , ni de noche ni de dia !

    Hope you read my short message on your previous update, i was the last one to add on.

    Onward with faith!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol,

    Great news about your enzyme levels. We are reading your blog every day and praying for good news every step of the way. I hope you can feel our love all the way from Iowa. Your positive attitude and spirit is inspirational. I see Frank made you eggs, but I can't help but wonder- - did it actually taste good? (Just kidding, Frank!)

    You are in our thoughts every day...

    Gary and Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol,
    Your blog is a blessing and inspiration to all those who read it. The "fruits of the spirit" are everywhere in your thoughts and deeds. May God hold you in his palm on Thursday and Friday.
    Blessings-
    Madge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol,

    You are an incredible person. I love reading your inspirational words and I continue to pray for you every day.

    Love and blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs Marshall,
    I'm so glad to know this trial can finally start, although I was praying that the results of the biopsy would show no cancer. But you are a strong person and will win this cancer, and grow old with Frank, watching Chip's, Christine's and Andrew's babies!! I'm always praying for you...
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol - We're all with you as you take this next step. Team Hoya is bummed about Georgetown not making the tournament but rooting extra hard for you tomorrow! ~ Jack

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, I don't know how you do it, but you actually comfort me with your words. And the last time I looked, I shouldn't be the one needing comfort. The rosary beads are clicking (it's been awhile, I had to dig them out).
    All my love, thoughts and prayers. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol - What an incredible mentor you are to all of us... I feel somewhat shamed to say that I "look forward" to your daily posts. That sounds bad all things considered - but it is SOOOO INSPIRING to read your words! God is pouring his love on you!!! I know it - and the best part is - you are receiving it like a champ! All the Peghers are praying for you! In fact - God has provided me the perfect opportunity to be silent in constant prayer - while doing Christine's invites each day!!! They are coming along great. LOVE YOU! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol,

    You continue to be an inspiration to all of us with your calming words and positive attitude. We continue to pray for you and Frank and know that He will take care of you both. Love Wally & Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Carol and Frank:
    We are pouring our thoughts and prayers from Florida, knowing that God will hold your hand with the chemo treatments. We pray that your body accepts the medicine and conquers all those bad cells. You are shining with the light of the Lord and are an inspiration to all. Lots and lots of love, June and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Carol, What a testimony you are to the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. I loved seeing the picture of your Core Group. What a blessing to have their prayers as well as your family's and all of your CBS friends. I continue to pray for your complete healing and for the Lord to fill you with His joy and peace as you trust in Him. Romans 15:13 Sending love, prayers and blessings, Jane Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for including us on this tough journey. God continues to shine through your strength, Carol and Frank! We love you and send California sunshine your way!

    Love, Michelle, Chris, Haley and Grant
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. "By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus." Acts 4:30

    Carol, you don't know me, but a friend of yours shared your story/blog with me in awe of how positive and strong your faith is. I too share a strong faith in knowing the power of prayer and even more so the power that is directly connected to the name of Jesus. I understand the strength that can be found when standing on the promises found in his Word. The wonders of God are astonishingly beautiful. To read how he cradles you his big strong arms is inspiring. Stay encouraged and know that I and others are praying that his healing virtue will continue to restore, renew and refresh both your natural body and spiritual soul. "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. Ephesians 3:20 (Read the entire third chapter of Ephesians, and Acts 4; I trust that these scriptures will bless you.)

    A prayer partner, Vivian Chamberlain

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carol,

    I am a friend of Lowrie Reiter. I have stage 4 colon cancer and have been treated at Hopkins for chemo, radiation and surgies. I wish you the very best. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Marita

    ReplyDelete