Saturday, June 20, 2009

Better and Better

What’s that Beatles song?? ….
It's getting better all the time, Better, better, better
It's getting better all the time, Better, better, better
Getting so much better all the tiiii iiiime!

This week as been amazing on the new chemo! NO Symptoms. No nausea, vomiting. No weird combo of constipation and diarrhea (tmi, I know!), even the fatigue has disappeared! I have gained 10 pounds! I am feeling so strong and full of energy!

This week was the annual Defense Industry Ethics meeting and so we went back into DC and I went to the meetings every day! In fact, listen to this, yesterday I went to the meeting in the morning, Frank and I had lunch with a friend at Old Ebbit’s Grill, went home to have a visit with Phyllis and Peg (girlfriend time!), immediately went off to a dinner with my best DII pals, home by 9 pm and still ready for action. (Frank was like “okay, energizer bunny, Get To Bed!) ha ha. Anyway, I just couldn’t resist giving you a snapshot of that amazing day!

Honeymooner update: Mr. & Mrs. Maginnis returned last night from their honeymoon in Barbados. I went to the DII meeting this morning then we had lunch, and photo viewing, with the newlyweds before coming out to the shore. They had a wonderful time and are all relaxed and in looooove. Erik leaves Monday to take the boys on the service trip to Ivanhoe for a week.

Tomorrow I am going to a bridal shower for the soon to be daughter-in-law of our sweet neighbors here on the shore. Then on Sunday we are heading back into DC, and I am going with my mom, Christine and Peggy Anne to meeting with Dr. Brenda Hunter a cancer survivor “nutrition guru”. I am really interested to hear what she has to say. I keep hearing more and more and more about helping your body/immune system join in the fight by eating the right things. So I expect to hear lots about raw veggies and fruits, maybe green tea?..who knows. But I am looking forward to it. (Send any advice my way.) When I was in the clinical trial at Johns Hopkins (and I assume now) they were very clear on “No Supplements” since they can actually interfere with the chemo… but they did encourage us to learn more about healthy eating. So I’ve been reading.

Tuesday mom heads back to Ohio, having declared me “Eating just fine!” with a promise to be back the moment we call, or she gets in the mood for a visit.

Wednesday will be a big day. CT Scan to see if this chemo is stalling or even killing the cells (they will measure the tumors on the liver and other organs) and then an appointment with Dr. Laheru. If, if, if it is possible that I can take THIS chemo, in THIS dose and feel like THIS… we are talking huge success and you ALL need to come to the Eastern Shore for a visit b/c I’ll have energy for LOTS of fun times if I can stay on this chemo regime…for years! ☺

So, there’s my latest! Unbelievable that this is the same me of just weeks ago…unbelievable, really. (and so WHY do I say unbelievable?!)….hmmm, guess I’ll just continue to say “Thank You.”

13 comments:

  1. Now THAT sounds like the Carol I remember--energy enough for three people! What a blessing to hear such a positive report and know how well you're responding to this round of chemo! Wow! God's mercies are new every morning and we have great cause to praise Him and thank Him for this amazing report. You remain in my thoughts and prayers, Carol~

    Carolyn A.

    PS Have NO idea how to "select a profile"!!! But I'm playing with it here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept checking your blog and started getting a little anxious with no updates...BUT finally, what great news to hear how great you're feeling with no side effects!! That's really terrific and very positive!!! I will continue my prayers for the best scanning news possible. Keep those blogs coming.
    Carol B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Carol - this is just the BEST news! You are just so strong and invincible and God in Heaven is watching over you and your whole gang. We send you lots of love from your old stompin' grounds. XXOO Brenda and Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol,

    That is such great news that you are feeling so well without all the bad effects. Thank you Lord. And (I don't believe I'm saying this to a woman) keep packing on the weight. We will definitely be down for another visit sometime if you keep feeling this well and can take the company. We are thrilled for you!

    Wayne and Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember Dr. Budwig's diet! It's worked in 90% of the cases. And there is proof!

    Andre

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what great news. You sound terrific. I had a great time with your husband last week- though when he got on the table and started dancing with the spitting bucket it was a little much. Keep going in this direction--- Dick Sauber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray!!! If this keeps up you'll be fat like the rest of us in no time!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray! There are probably other Beatle's songs that apply to you like "All you Need Is Love," and ""Here Comes the Sun". Did you know they have a song called "Carol"? Terry and I are very excited about your news. We'll look forward to hearing more good news. Lots of love, Cindy and Terry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there Friend,

    Thank you Lord for Your goodness and mercy! There's a big sigh of welcome relief and a big smile here. We're so very grateful for this new chemo turnabout Carol. This new normal is SO much better than before, and as you pointed out, you could endure this regime for a long time. How incredible that you are feeling energetic and more like the old Carol. We're praying for the continuing success of your comfort and for the ultimate power of this chemo to destroy the enemy. We love you sweetie, J and J

    His mercies are new every morning! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful news!!!! Eileen and I are thrilled that you are doing so well as it appears you are back to your old self. I'm looking forward to hearing your voice on Thursday. Keep plugging girl. Love Wally and Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol,

    It was wonderful to see you at DII. It was such a shock to hear your news. But you looked and seemed completely yourself--the happy, full of energy, heart and soul of the DII. How terrific that you were surrounded by the love of your family and friends at your daughter's wedding one week and the love of your longtime work family the next week at DII. My prayers are with you.

    Susan Kavanagh

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that you are tolerating this new treatment. Are you still taking the steroids? (That might be helping combat the nausea, and contributing to the weight gain). We are praying for good scans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. in Singapore right now and super excited to read your blog, my heart leaps with joy that God's healing power is evident. Read a great book by Janet Maccaro on God's perspective on health "Fabulous at 50", highly recommend it, sending love and prayers from Singapore, Lydia

    ReplyDelete