Friday, June 12, 2009

Post-wedding-back-in-the-fight-Chemo Update

I am looking through the Psalms, there has got to be just the right HALLELUJAH verse in there where David just says Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for the blessing. But none seems to be enough!

As you know, we went back up to Johns Hopkins to get going again on the new chemo. You won’t believe this…the anticipated side effects of nausea (NOPE!); fatigue (SOME, but what’s a nice nap now and then); tingling fingers/toes (nope!) are so minimal.

But it’s that nausea! Not A BIT so far. I know they told us that the symptoms can be cumulative and maybe I’ll ramp up a bit as the days go by…but so far, I am tummy happy! (and eating, eating, eating just to prove it!)

They have me on the same dosage level that they say 90% of the folks who are on this combo take. So it is a bit of a down-dosage from last month…so of course you know me…I’m thinking ~ is this working? I am not sufffffffering? (A sign of a sick mind, I know.) But that’s where the patience comes in again. We won’t know until the next round of tests to “look back” and see if this poison is the right poison for my cells. Please keep praying that it is…but I do know that if it is not, then there’s just another plan.

When we were at JH, Sally & Frank & I met the neatest couple. Bill Forbes was told several years ago that he had 6 weeks to live with pancreatic cancer. And there he was! Full of stories. When he and his wife asked which chemo treatment I was on, and we told them, they said, “Oh, Bill had a great year and half on that!” That was so encouraging…. (He also told me that he had had the Whipple surgery that works for some pancreatic patients, but his cancer came back…he also cited that 90% of folks who have the Whipple have returning cancer. So that was interesting. Anyway, in my case, (some of you have asked) I’m not a candidate for the Whipple…too many cancer cells spread around to too many places. That’s okay. God has a different plan for me.

I don’t want to ramble on and on, just wanted to give the good news and ask you to Thank God along with me, Praising Him for continued blessings…who would have thought after the great day of the wedding. Ah, me of little faith…I thought that was a “one day” blessing….but nope! God intended blessing upon blessing and I’m loving it! We are still out at the Eastern Shore hanging out.

Thanks for being there for me. Thanks for your unceasing prayers.

Love,

Carol

16 comments:

  1. Carol, I've been away from the blog for a couple of weeks, but I'm very happy to see that the wedding went so well and that you're feeling great. By the way, the bride looked beautiful, and so did the mother of the bride! Frank had a little of that "Steve-Martin-in-shock, father-of-the-bride" appearance...but I think that's the way FOTB's are supposed to look. Congratulations on all the good news!

    Love,
    Dave and Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,
    So happy that the new "cocktail" is not making you feel too sick! Glad you are still enjoying that sunshine at the shore! I'm sure the newlyweds are basking in the sunshine as well. Say hello to your mom & Frank! Gods love is truly shining on everyone this week!
    Stay well,
    Ruthanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news. You must still be vibrating from that great wedding. I am looking forward to sneaking Frank out for a guy's night next week-- Steve Yslas sends his best to all the Marshalls- saw him tonight. XXX- the Saubers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, we love hearing every detail of every e-mail that you have posted. Thanks for sharing your heart with us. Of course you are in our thoughts and prayers in every way.
    Start planning our activities for when Bob and I see you all this fall.
    Lots of love,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, it's not good to neglect reading your blog for more than a week . . . the catch up reading is monumental! It was great to hear about Christine's wedding and see those superb pictures. Thank you for that. And thanks to God for sustaining you and keeping you in those precious moments. You know that 100s (or 1000s) are praying for you regularly. God bless you and make His face to shine on you. Peter Balch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol,
    What a glorious wedding day! You looked so beautiful and your house looks like it could of been in a movie! My heart and prayers are with you, as a faithful reader of your blog and my unceasing prayers. Love, Barbara Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol,
    The wedding was beautiful and you had energy and looked so happy.
    I found this verse as I was reading today. Psalm 20:5
    We will shout for joy when you are victorious and will lift up our banners
    in the name of our God. May the Lord grant all your requests.
    With all our prayers,
    Patty & Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol: Thx for sharing the wedding photos. You looked glam!! Not really fair of the MOB to outshine the bride. Here's hoping those nasty little cells will finally realize they are never going to get you down and they surrender. Abrazos y carino. WTG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sweet Carol, I cried, laughed and rejoiced reading your blogs about the wedding and all. Young love, there is nothing in the world more precious. And you my dear friend and sister in Christ, Looked radiant! Such an answer to all our prayers. Can't wait to see more pictures and to hear about your progress with the new chemo. Hoping those little cancer cells go away and we truly see a miracle. I know you are holding on tight to the Lord!!!! Such a blessed hope we have in Him!!. " Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31 Praying for God's strength as you continue to fight the battle. Love you Always. Lowrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Carol,
    Thank you so much for your wonderful description of the wedding! It sounded magical & magnificent. Prayers of many people were answered when you were able to have pain free days to enjoy the festivities.
    Now - back to your cure. Keep strong. And we will keep praying.
    Love, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carol-
    Now that the wedding (fantasic - perfect in every way) is over, I just wanted to let you know that we haven't let our "prayer guards" down.
    Looking forward to hearing more good news and seeing that amazingly beautiful smile at Thanksgivng.
    Love,
    H & K

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed reading about the wedding and seeing the photos. It looks like it was a glorious day for everyone and a beautiful setting. The Lord is watching over you and your loved ones.

    All the Westlake Village ladies who lunch are keeping tabs on your blog and send their love, prayers and support. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol as I am reading the only thought that comes to my head "Oh to be kept by Jesus" When I am down and in despair, oh to be kept, when the end seems in the distance, oh to be kept.

    Lord, there is none beside thee to help." (2 Chron. 14:11, RV).

    God loves you and so do I
    AME Pastor

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Carol ,
    So glad to hear the new treatment is making you feel better . I will raise a prayer of praise on your behalf ! These days I am dedicating a full hour of prayer time in a most beautiful holy space. I will keep you in my prayers for strength to keep surfing through this wave of medical treatments.
    Much love ,
    cacsp

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carol, I've been away with some health issues and haven't been able to find your blog. I just catched up on all your wonderful news today. The wedding was beautiful, and what a blessing in the weather. God certainly listens to all of our prayers. You look wonderful in the photos and the beautiful bride and handsome groom look so happy. May God bless you and your family.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Carol,
    Frank had told me that the new treatment was quite a success and am pleased to hear/read that you are doing so well!!
    You, Frank, Chip, Christine and Erik and Andrew continue in our prayers and hope you are having a lovely weekend,
    Love,
    Lynne and Jerry

    ReplyDelete