Sunday, July 19, 2009

Good morning Carol fans! Knew you’d be interested in “Carol’s capers” these last few days! She is resting comfortably at Hopkins, awaiting a re-do of the nerve block she had May 1st. That will happen tomorrow. I have cut and pasted her emails together to recap how she got there. So what you read below is from Carol’s Blackberry to my computer! Keep the blog notes coming. Carol loves to hear from all of you!!
Sally


From Carol:

Long story, but big unexplained lower back pain caused me to call in
to the Stent Doctor Thursday (b/c it was the last procedure I had had so asked them about
the pain). They said, most probably not the stent insertion--it had been 6 days.
On-call doc suggested -"go to ER, get a blood panel so they can get a good look.
So, upon good advice, we didn't go to the local ER (where they don't know my
history) Frank brought me back to JH Emergency Room on Thursday evening.
It was VERY good b/c they are cross-referencing records, etc.

So trip here was not an emergency, that was good -- just a "let's get to the
why this acute pain" is coming more and more frequently – mid-day and middle of
the night. And the "walk it off, it is just gas" theory didn't seem to be
working.

All tests so far showing all labs are very good:
Tests so far:
Blood panels (all good, liver, billirubin in normal range, etc)
Flat panel X ray
Sonogram of kidney (just showed lots of Gas)
Dry CT Scan of liver
Regular CT (which is great resource for Dr Laheru, oncologist b/c he can compare
cell growth with history CT results.)
Dr Sam Giday (GI) said last night he wants to watch colon for any swelling. But
doesn't see any signs of concern.

Lots of theories at this point:
Kidney stones (probably not)
Pancreatitus (I am on IV liquid only, resting pancreas. May go back on fluids
today)
Nerve block has worn off (I go in Monday for a re-do on that. That's good!) I
would say they are zeroing on this one.


Okay, so here’s another amazing God Is In the Details moment:

This is a great story: (skip to ending: Nerve Block will be done on Monday) The
Pain Management Post-Doc Resident just came by. (He looks JUST like Chip! 30 yrs
old. Blonde, blue eyes, same build. Is an Army Doctor working at JH in a Pain
Mgmnt residency-just graduated last week and is re-locating to San Antonio next
Tuesday - the day after my procedure. His name is Brandon.

He was all excited b/c he was telling me that JH just set up a new system and
MONDAY is the very first day! :). Apparently in the past the Pain Mgmt unit
would schedule procedures all on Outpatient (yes, like my last one) but if a JH
In-patient needed a procedure they would try to squeeze them in to an already over
full schedule and it caused stress, frustration and irked Med Staff who had to
be reacting with no advanced planning.

Starting Monday (coincidence?) They have their first "okay, we have a scheduled
opening, Go out and find us an In-Patient to take this Spot!!) ME! --- I can't
tell you how excited he was to have affirmation for the "new system"!

ALSO: I mentioned to him that Dr Ehrdik was the attending the last time and Dr
Harrison did the block and it was a PERFECT 100% home run. And Brandon said-- "oh!
Dr Ehrik is the doctor scheduled for Monday! (Coincidence?) And since we had our
Post Doc graduation last week ALL of the other Residents have left-- ONLY Dr
Harrison and I are still here." (Coincidence?)

Then we chatted about how he had just moved his wife and 2 little 4 year old
girls to San Antonio. And he looked at my table and said, "oh, I see what you
are reading here. Are you a Christian?". He too is a believer!!!! Oh our God is
just so amazing - affirming, showing His presence, and hugs to me again and
again.

Well, there is my God Story

So, here is my status: all tests, vitals, etc are stable. They all seem to think
the pain I was experiencing was break through pain from the old Nerve Block
(done on May 1st) and apparently this is typical to need a tune up of the block
after this duration. (About 3 months) I am staying here just for pain management
through the pain episodes/flare ups, waiting for the Monday Procedure. Then
Monday I go home or spend the night. They will decide. (I may just come back to
this room to spend the night for Tuesday chemo - IF Dr Dan still wants to go
ahead with that schedule. We'll just make a game time decision on that I guess)

.

In the meantime, I'm resting and hanging out. Had to take a pain hit a couple
hours ago. It doesn't work completely, but just taking it to a dull ache helps
b/c I at least know what it is.

Food: they are switching me from IV fliuds to oral liquids now that confirmed
pancreas is quiet. Maybe then solid food tonight. Basically I am just me,
waiting around 'til Monday's block.

Love,
Carol


15 comments:

  1. Carol and Frank- update sounds good. Pain block aint nothin. Good news about back to chemo this week. We are thinking about you guys!! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Previous message from the Saubers: Pam, Dick, Jessica, Elyse, Cassie and Lola of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, I was so happy to see an update today. Needless to say, we were worried about you but know that powerful prayers and the Dear Lord and Frank are taking very good care of you. Plus the incredible team of JH docs and staff. Debbie Tovar (the traveling lady) says hello and sends her love. We (Jim and I) leave for China on 7/30. We hope to have a blogspot so you can follow our travels. Miss you and plan to see you at CBS in Sept. Love, Mary Beth plus Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carol, Glad to know the test results are stable. I'm sure you'll feel so much better again after the pain block.

    Our Road Trip 2009 was great. We traveled through 7 states, visited our old neighbors (from across the street in Virginia) who now live near Denver, and visited Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone. Beautiful, beautiful country. Miles and miles of open land, rivers, mountains. Perfect weather the whole trip. Only one car failure...we ended up spending one additional night in Pinedale, WY waiting for an alternator to be delivered overnight which Terry then installed in the parking lot of the hotel. Look up Pinedale...very picturesque Western town...population about 1400. Also stayed in Saratoga WY and Dubois WY. The Saratoga Inn had a pool fed by natural hot springs and some individual hot spring pools covered by teepees. I found that very amusing.

    Take good care of each other. We're thinking of you. Much love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad for the update. Sounds like typical medical jibber, jabber. No body really knows the answer. At least you are in good hands, JH, Frank and God. Stay strong my friend! Jeff, Breann and Jeffrey say hi. I pray for you every night. Christine's wedding looked amazing, I am so happy that you were well that week, you looked beautiful! Your smile is infectious. Jeff was reading your blog and said he could actually hear your voice telling him the story. He was thinking back to the wonderful dinner we had with you and Frank at one of your favorite spots, (was it 1875)? Heck I don't remember, except that the food was great, the company was the best and Andrew stopped by. I hope we can visit again someday. Jeffrey is off to college in Sept., so we have more free time. Woohoo!!! Wants to finish up with grad school in D.C., but that is not for a few years. He is still interested in Politics, if you can believe that. Our grandbaby is now 9 months old, crawling and talking. It is fun being a grammie. Our Love to your whole family, including that amazing mom of yours. I can't believe she still drives all over the place, is she still skiing too? Love Ya,
    Carol Jaramillo

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. We sent you guys an organic fruit basket, hope you will be able to enjoy it. Lots of antioxidents, good for the immune system.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol,

    We're asking the Lord for another 100% homerun with your nerve block. So sorry that you've been experiencing such pain since your last surgery. Pain-free is a much better plan and it really sounds like you've got the right team in place to do that tomorrow. Our love to you sweet friend...J and J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carol,
    I've been following your progress these last months through friends at ABF and even though I haven't written before you've been much on my mind and in my prayers. Thanks for sharing your God Story today. Love and Hugs to you, Shar Schamp

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the update. We're praying!

    And on another random note - I don't know if you've met Amy Emerling yet at JH. She's a nurse there. Gorgeous blonde...sweet, smart girl...great family from our church here in Phoenix. hmmm Is Chip with anyone? :) Anyway, she was going to watch for you and say hi.

    Hugs to you and Frank!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol & Frank,
    So happy to hear the news! You had me wondering after 10+ days of radio silence!
    I will be in DC for a couple of days in September when Jackie does her Team in Training Triathlon (for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society). If you are feeling up for company, I would love to see you. Hugs and prayers until then!
    Carla Beach

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol,
    So glad to hear from you with an update on what has been happening with you. Prayers for a successful procedure Monday to block that pain,and for a go on the chemo to keep those tumors in check. We are thinking of you and keeping good thoughts for all to go well.
    Love you,
    Nancy and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Carol and Frank: We're so happy for an update at last and are thankful that the Lord is guiding you, the doctors and your care plan. Thank heavens for the nerve block tomorrow. We love you both so much.
    Maui is wonderful and the kids are amazing. They both--8 and 5--snorkel in the ocean cove!!! I'm amazed at what water-lovers they are. They love the pool, too, and Grant has taken to a 14-year-old girl named Diana! He even laid his towel on a chair by hers, "reading" on his tummy like she was doing! Shel and Chris have been married 17 yrs today! Hugs, J and S xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Carol -
    It was great to see the update and know you are in the hands of such wonderful Drs! Will be praying for a "homerun".
    Have to share - I had great fun yesterday - won a golf tournament - I do love getting a trophey!
    Love you and will miss you tomorrow. Know you will be in all our thoughts and prayers.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol-Wow you are sounding so professionally medical.....I want you to also know that the neurosurgeon that did my granddaughter's surgery for her spina bifida, he came in the am of the surgery with a set of terribly frightened first time parents and said "I hope you don't mind but I pray with all my parents"....MIND? I believe she is the little miracle she is today, walking and running, because of that surgeon's skill but mostly prayer! You continue to be another testimony to that as well! luv ya Barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carol, I do hope Monday's procedure has given you a respite from your pain. Mark and the girls and I all keep you in our prayers. I am encouraged by your continual Praise in the midst of pain. Bless you!! Susan
    "Therefore, I am going to persuade her, lead her to the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. There I will give her vineyards back to her and make the Valley of Achor (Trouble) into a gateway of hope." Hosea 2:14,15

    ReplyDelete